Sunday, March 11, 2007

warming, thawing, planting

After being snowed in last weekend, and confronting below zero temperatures several mornings this week, we are finally having some nice spring-like weather. High temps were in the forties both Saturday and today; that's T-shirt and Birkenstock weather for us Minnesotarcticans. It's been nice enough that I have resumed taking morning walks with Togo, the husky. I really enjoy getting out there in the fresh air, smelling the thawing earth, seeing the blue sky, and hearing the quiet that is all around. There are a few snowmobilers out, trying to make the most of last week's snow, but for the most part it's quiet here. Sand Creek is open and flowing.

This weather even gave me the urge to make my earliest-ever planting. I have one raised bed I covered with plastic over PVC hoops last fall, hoping to overwinter some greens. That didn't quite happen, but the plastic survived the winds of winter and when I checked, the top two inches of soil were thawed and workable. Even though I had to walk over snowdrifts to get the the bed, I planted spinach, kale, lettuce, and cilantro.

I also did my first indoor plantings of six kinds of peppers, and some chives. It's nice to walk into the cook shed and smell dirt. Good dirt.

3 comments:

R.Powers said...

We have white ground too, but it's sand, not ice.

gtr said...

Wow!! Planting already... mmmm, it can't be far behind for us. But my brain's still in winter mode (did a fun snowshoe today). How amazing that spring is just around the corner.

Deb said...

FC- A white sandy beach would look good about now...

gtr- At this time of year I banish winter mode from my mind. Sure I could have gotten the cross country skis out, but I just didn't feel like it. Glad you had a good snowshoe though; I should outfit the whole family next year for Christmas.