Friday, March 09, 2007

goodbye is never easy


Especially when it comes so fast, and unexpectedly. AND, edited to say, when your cat is not even two years old.


We lost a good house cat today. As I detailed in the previous post, I woke at 5 AM to see him on the floor writhing in agony, three of his legs paralyzed. I was frightened and confused; he had been just fine the night before. Mr. Attitude and I were sitting on the couch reading books together, and Puffball was stretched out next to us, perfectly content. I commented how he looked like roadkill. I now regret that statement.


I called the local veterinarian and left a message. She called back a few minutes later; I described the symptoms, and she said it sounded like a blood clot where his main artery splits to his hind legs. She said to bring him in when her office opened; it was a serious condition but there was no immediate emergency treatment that could be done, except maybe give him a quarter of an aspirin if we had any. We didn't, not that it would have mattered.


I brought him into the living room where it was warmer, then later put him into a box lined with bath towels. By that time, his hind legs were stiff and cold, and he was unresponsive.


A quick check at the vet's confirmed the worst. The vet said she's never seen a cat survive that condition for any length of time. I tearfully consented to euthanasia. Watching him die was actually more peaceful than helplessly watching him suffer at home.

When the ground thaws, he will be buried alongside Lady and Annie, the dogs, Lilith the cat, and Topper the horse. We're getting way too much of a pet cemetery going here.

I sure miss him.



Puffball's genetic material lives on, however, in his son Blue Flame. Blue, because his eyes are the most gorgeous sky blue I've ever seen in a cat, and Flame, because he is a flame point Siamese. I have a feeling he will be a specially spoiled cat these next few days.

10 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I'm so sorry Deb, hugs for you and your family.

LauraHinNJ said...

Sorry this happened today.

Anonymous said...

I've been in this situation a couple of times. There's nothing pleasant about it other than knowing you ended the poor animal's suffering. We've devoted an island at Roundrock as our pet cemetary.

Pablo
www.roundrockjournal.com

R.Powers said...

Deb,
So sorry. I just checked in after some absence. I know how painful this is.
All the best to you and your family.

Sue said...

So sorry about Puffball. It's really hard to lose a beloved pet. Harder still when you have to "make the decision."

Anonymous said...

How awful. We're thinking of you.

gtr said...

So sorry to hear this... he looks like a fine, handsome fluffy friend. Symapthy to you and the family...

Lené Gary said...

I'm sorry to hear about Puffball. I can't imagine seeing your loved one suffer the way you described it. Many blessings for his passage.

Deb said...

Thanks all for the kind words. It was indeed a blessing that if he had to go, he didn't have to suffer long. It seems empty around here without him, yet the kids are remarkably resilient and we are all taking extra time to hug the animals that remain with us.

Anonymous said...

Wish you would have had more time with your kitty; but blessed are you to have had the time you did, an dblessed was he to have time with you. I do hope he did not suffer terribly; so sorry for your loss.