Sunday, March 25, 2007

March is a great time

Despite the mud everywhere and the standing puddles of water and the detritus that the melting snow reveals about what happened last winter, March is a wonderful time. The transformation that happens here, in just a matter of a week or so, is amazing. Perhaps if you live in warmer climes, you experience seasonal change over a more gradual period. But here it's BAM! Spring's here!

New year birds for today are: great blue heron, mallard, turkey vulture, Eastern bluebird, some blackbird (either Brewer's or Rusty, but not a grackle!--update, I am pretty confident now they were Brewer's), ring necked duck, and...woodcock. That first peent I heard at twilight, and the twittering that followed as he ascended into the sky in circles, was pure music.

I attended a bridal shower today, at my aunt and uncle's lake place where I spent some wonderful times growing up. The bride is a first timer, at age...well, I think she was the same age as my mom, they were really close as cousins growing up. 60 or so, although she doesn't look a day over 45. I'm happy for her and her husband-to-be! I had a good time talking with some second cousins I haven't seen in way too long.

4 comments:

Sue said...

I've always felt that a northern spring is wonderous.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I haven't seen a bluebird yet, but right now out my window I can hear my first song sparrows and there have been 6 fox sparrows scratching under my feeders since this morning.

Larry said...

I've never seen a Brewer's Blackbird.-I'll have to look that one up to see if we get them in Connecticut.-I have been seeing Ring-necked Ducks a lot-They really are beautiful birds.

Deb said...

sue- I guess that's why I can't help but write about it!

lynne- Fox sparrows are handsome birds; I love how they scratch the ground.

larry- The Brewers blackbird is one species I've probably seen a lot, but never paid any attention to. I also think ring necked ducks are beautiful.