Sunday, May 25, 2008

time for music

I had a very good banjo practice session today, in a very acoustically friendly place: the new house. After I planted sugar snap peas and weeded two beds, I decided to call it quits if I wanted to be able to move a muscle tomorrow morning. I just get incredibly fatigued and sore these days, to the point it cuts into what I can do. Not good.

Back to banjo, I was trying to explain to The Hermit today how different it is from any instrument I've played before. It's non-linear. To play a simple scale requires bouncing back and forth between strings in ways that don't make sense to a pianist or flutist. But in a strange way I kind of get it, I keep practicing these leaps of faith and they have become part of me, and I'm very happy with the sounds I have been making. I just enjoyed listening to the sound ringing off the cathedral ( or at least, small Minnesota Lutheran church) ceiling. I have to get out there every day.

3 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I'm here checking your blog at work (don't tell!) and on the nice big monitor I noticed for the first time the beautiful rainbow in your banner photo! How cool is that?! Next time I'm up there in your neighborhood I'm going to listen at the window and listen to you play.

RuthieJ said...

Hi Deb,
Is it the Lyme disease that's making you feel bad again or are you just exhausted from working too hard? Sounds like it's taking some of the enjoyment out of your spring. I hope you feel better soon.

Deb said...

Lynne- that was a pretty lucky shot.

All the birds here and I would love to have you come up here and listen!

RuthieJ- I'm going to the doctor today. I think it's Lyme. Starflower is sick today, and I'm suspecting she may have it too because this is the third time in a month she's had this- fever, headache, just not feeling well.