Saturday, May 10, 2008

The house is occupied...

If you've been following this blog for a while, you may recall that Eastern phoebes have been nesting in the new house each spring. This year is no exception, even with all the roofing activity. There are still openings under the eaves for them to fly in and out, and this year they decided to nest right under the peak of the roof.

Don't worry, even if the eaves get closed in, which should happen within a week or so, I will take the screen off an upper window and leave it open for the birds. But once those little nestlings fledge, it will hopefully be the end of bird occupation and the beginning of human occupation in the house. I have tried to explain to the phoebes that we did not build this fabulous structure just so they could have a wonderfully protected nesting area. So far they are not listening.

3 comments:

Questions About Faith, Etc. said...

This is a great blog!

So much satisfaction can come from the natural world!

I love the Kate Wolf poetry. Can I post in on my blog???

Deb said...

Questionsaboutfaith- Welcome to Sand Creek Almanac! I get so much satisfaction from my daily interaction with the natural world.

After reading your blog briefly, I can say I've had the experience of playing music at church, and being moved by it, without necessarily believing the words. In fact, playing music has often been my only reason for going to church. I'll be back to read more!

And, I have no special permission to quote Kate Wolf, so feel free to quote and give credit. Are you familiar with her music? Reading through your music list, seeing the artists you like, I think you would really like her. Too bad she died so young.

Questions About Faith, Etc. said...

I posted the Kate Wolf words along with some George Eliot quotes I found tonight. Keep on blogging.

Keep writing about the natural world :)