Wednesday, March 01, 2006

bouzouki


In response to the comments on this post, which turned into a treatise on bouzoukis, rolling chords, traditional Celtic style, and diadokokinesis, here is a picture of my bouzouki being cautiously played by Mr. Attitude. This one is an octave mandolin, which means the pairs of strings are tuned one octave lower than a standard mandolin. Some players string a bouzouki like a 12-string guitar, with one of each of the sets of lower strings of a different gauge and tuned an octave higher than the other, but I just use sets of identical strings.

This one was made by Flatiron and has a spruce top with birds eye maple back and sides- very pretty wood. I can't say I'm an expert at playing it, but I love it for its deep, resonant tone.

4 comments:

R.Powers said...

He looks sleepy.

Deb said...

I think it may have been time for a nap, although I do not remember a nap being taken yesterday!

Deb said...

Very beautiful instruments, Eleutheros. One question: having never played an instrument with a shaped back like the one in your photos, how does it affect the tone? I know that is the historical shape of the mandolin, but I'm just curious what tonal properties it has.

I was very fortunate to buy that one while we were double income, no kids. ;) I saw Tim O'Brien and Matt Flinner play them at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival, and I was hooked. Does Flatiron still make them anymore, after they left Bozemat? I haven't seen anything like that online lately. All I know is, I like mine, I came within an inch of selling it when I needed the money, and I'm grateful that I didn't.

Deb said...

Oops, I meant to say Bozeman.