Thursday, December 15, 2005

Snow


This photo was taken last winter, but it shows what my backyard will look like when the sun comes out. We ended up with about 8 inches of fresh snowfall yesterday; some areas along the north shore of Lake Superior received up to 25 inches, and more is expected today.

The adult in me says, "Oh great. Shoveling to do, puddles of melting snow in the house and cook shed, and a dangerous, messy drive to work".

Shut up, adult. You'll never make it through the winter with that attitude.

The child in me says "Isn't this absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to put on my cross country skis, or just flop down and make a snow angel, or have a snowball fight!"

Togo is just bouncing up and down and rolling, delighted. Huskies live for this kind of weather. I can't wait to take him for a romp in the snow.

Last night, the clouds broke just enough to show a veiled full moon illuminating the freshly fallen snow. In the moonlight, I looked out and saw two deer right outside the window, by the bird feeder, digging for sunflower seeds. By the tracks I saw this morning, these same deer visited the chicken yard and the edge of the horse pasture, looking for any grain or hay they could find. If the snow continues to pile up, this could be a difficult winter for these deer.

3 comments:

R.Powers said...

Yeah Child brain! Go play with your dog and know that we Floridiots will drive 8 hours just to play in the nearest snow...North GA mountains.

...better switch to adult brain when driving though.

Beautiful picture!

Darlene said...

Heh, I love the way the child and the adult in you quibble and reprimand each other. Sounds like my style of fiction writing, honestly! And sounds like the real me. And yes, I agree the color is pleasing to the eye, serene. Good choice.

My husband and I were both born "up north" in Minnesota, both UMD graduates. We've lived in St. Paul for years and have a daughter. I just met "madcapmum" through my Human Nature Nuggets site, and she thought I'd like to visit your site, because we have similar interests. Boy, am I glad did. When I have more time, I'm going to do some perusing here! I've got two sites you may be interested in. And what's really neat is that I have a link to floridacracker on my natureinfo. site from when I started it, just before earth day! What a small world!

Deb said...

Floridacracker-I would do the same if I lived somewhere that didn't have snow!

Darlene-Thanks for stopping by! It is a small blogging world, isn't it; it seems like the same wonderful people show up at the same places. I always look forward to reading Madcapmum. I'd be interested in visiting your sites; could you post some links?