Friday, December 16, 2005

snow, part 2

We ended up with over a foot. That's if it is over, which judging by the forecast, is not clear. We're just close enough to Lake Superior (about 50 miles inland) to get the tail end of "lake effect" snow. I'm going out for that long-promised romp in the snow tomorrow with Togo.

The chickens are blissfully unaware that this is the darkest time of the year. We have a light in their coop that runs on a timer, so they think there's enough daylight to lay 15+ eggs a day. Even the Aracaunas are starting to lay their pale greenish-blue "Easter eggs". Can you say, "Fresh eggs 4 sale"?

The Hermit braved icy roads and Mr. Attitude today to drive to Duluth, to get a few necessities and pick up my earring. It probably isn't worth a lot monetarily, but I'm glad the staff at the auditorium saw fit to pick it up and hold it for me. Sentimental value is everything.

But the darkest time of the year will soon lose its grip. Tomorrow, according to the charts, the sun starts setting LATER in the day, by a minute. In a week it may even be noticeable.

I've been busy getting ready for my next music gig. Fred and I are playing a week from tonight at the Hanging Horn Inn near Moose Lake, the same place we played before. All I can say is, I've got some serious practicing to do this weekend. We've added some mandolin duets, which would sound nice if I could only loosen up and get over the feeling that the pick is about to fly right out of my clumsy hand. And my guitar solo ability leaves a lot to be desired. Just relax and have fun, I keep thinking. That's what it's all about.

Speaking musically, I really, really want to do some songwriting, and I have some vague ideas for songs, I just need to get beyond that point somehow. I get my best ideas when I'm driving home, without music playing in the car CD player, but by the time I get home and settled in, everything is diluted or gone.

Otherwise, I'm hanging in there. Not a lot of Christmas spirit to be found, at least yet. As if I'm supposed to somehow summon it up from the depths of myself, just because 'tis the season. I'm not big on Christmas spirit to begin with, but that's another post.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered carrying one of those personal sized tape recorders with you? You could hum a melody or recite a few lines of lyrics whilst driving just to capture the thought when it is in yer head. Just an idea.

robin andrea said...

I had the same thought Pablo did! A tape recorder for those moments of inspiration.

I'm glad you are getting your earring back. I have many singles, as well, but there's one in particular that I lost at a theater in Denver many, many years ago. I never called to see if anyone had turned it in. Your story reminds that it would have been a good idea to that.

Enjoy the snow and the eggs!

R.Powers said...

In an attempt to show that Buffet is much more than "Margaritaville" I submit this URL I found:

http://www.wyoblue.com/Something_So_Feminine_About_The_Mandolin.html

The lyrics and a recording of Jimmy singing the song are there.

The way you write about the your love of the mandolin has permanently associated you with this song in my brain.

Enjoy the snow and good luck on your gig!

Deb said...

pablo (and RD)-you're a genius. Why didn't I think of that? I probably even have one lying around here somewhere.

Floridacracker- thanks for the link...that's a great song! I might even add that to our lineup. Strange, though, all of the well-known bluegrass mandolin players are male.

And, I need to have a promo photo like that taken with my mandolin! ;)

Anonymous said...

http://www.master-the-guitar.com, www.Master-the-Guitar.com . Want to learn to Play the guitar in a weekend. Geoff reveals Everything you will ever need to know about how to learn the guitar in a weekend revealed. Register to receive the details by return.Geoff also reveals a resources website where you can find all the latest Guitar equipments and Music in one location at. http://www.guitarist-resources.com