Monday, December 19, 2005

early Christmas blessings

What a surprise there was waiting in the mailbox today. I've come to dread opening the mailbox lately, as it seems nothing good falls out into my hands. We've been in a bit of a financial tight spot lately, what with trying to build the house and even just keep warm without going into serious debt, and just this morning we ran out of propane for the cook shed and payday's not until Friday. I had given up on entertaining any thoughts of Christmas presents, big or small.

So I reluctantly opened the mailbox on my way home from picking Mr. Attitude up from preschool. Inside were three seed catalogs. Hooray, but I'm not in the mindset for looking at them until after the holidays. No bills; that's good news. And a Christmas card. From my Dad.

At first I thought, God bless him. I didn't expect him to even be in the frame of mind to send out cards this year; we just lost Mom two months ago. Mr. Attitude was anxious to open it, so I let him, reminding him to be gentle. As he opened the card, which was signed simply "Merry Christmas, Dad" I caught sight of something else. A check. I looked at the amount, and nearly fell over. This is the last thing I ever expected this Christmas.

I certainly didn't do anything to deserve this, but it is just what we needed, when we needed it. Not a windfall, but enough to get caught up on a few things and go ahead with more building. Enough so we can feast on Christmas day. And enough so tomorrow I'm going to order that digital camera I've had my eye on for way too long, and start sharing more of my world with all of you wonderful bloggers out there. God bless us one and all.

Just when I was ready to go bah humbug, I think I believe in Santa. I've received the gifts of friends, and the gift of grace.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

They say that half the reason for giving a gift is to benefit the giver. Your post today shows how much you appreciate this gift. That has to give your father a lot of warm fuzzies. Gratitude is a good attitude, dude! (Sorry!) I love visiting your blog.

R.Powers said...

I knew it! I just knew there was a Santa Claus!
Looking forward to more shots of the north country with that digital camera.
Take care.

Nickie said...

what a wonderfull christmas surprise!

Kathie said...

How Wonderful! Your delight is the best part.

saurav said...

Outstanding ... indeed ...

May Peace
Hope and Love
be with you
Today
Tomorrow
and Always

Merry Christmas!

robin andrea said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes because your joy has been renewed. An even greater gift from your dad, your heart opened to the season. Very, very lovely.

Madcap said...

I think I need to keep reading your stories, Deb. My "bah, humbug" response has become the default. Keep telling me.

Deb said...

Grateful, yes, and I intend to let my dad know just how much his gift meant to me. We're not the most expressive family in the world, but maybe, finally that is changing.

Avik, Katie, and Girl Gone Gardening-Thanks for stopping by!

Peace and joy to everyone.

dharma bum said...

Hey Deb, that's great! I don't think it could happen to a more deserving family and it's great to hear about you and yours getting a little lift.

And, from a purely selfish standpoint, I'm pretty excited for you to get that camera!

Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Shesh, you mean i am not the only one who has issues about opening the mail box.

Can;t wait to see those pictures :)

Deb said...

dharma bum--thank you.

dragonfly- Maybe we should start a mailbox support group! Okay...deep breaths...no dragons in there... deep breaths...:)