Thursday, January 12, 2006

pain in the neck

I have a big pain in the neck today, and it's not just my spouse. ;)

Normally my life is fairly pain-free. I'm not befallen by illness too often, and aside from the occasional offspring hurling themselves into my lap and scratching my corneas, I've not sustained any major injuries. But this morning, as I sat up in bed to check the time, I suddenly had the most horrible, sharp pain in my neck. It's been aching the last couple of days, but the way I slept and/or sat up suddenly really did it in. I fell back on my pillow, and literally could not move for the longest time without suffering.

Driving to work was out of the question, so I popped a couple Tylenol codeine that I had left from the eye incident and propped myself up on the couch to watch a couple Northern Exposure episodes we got from Netflix. I'm going to be at the computer just long enough to finish this, then I think I'll pick up Bernd Heinrich's The Winter World, which I'm reading with the gang at Whorled Leaves, and try to catch up with Ontario Wanderer.

9 comments:

robin andrea said...

Deb-- Ouch. I hope you are feel better. I've had a pinched nerve in my neck, and it is quite painful. I've found that ice really helps until the inflammation has subsided. Anti-inflammatories really help. Good luck. Lay low, and don't push yourself.

Madcap said...

Shouldn't we all be married to chiropractors? Well, I hope it clicks back into place soon and you're back up and around.

Kathie said...

Well Buggers. I hope it feels better soon - if you can a massage would probably really help.

R.Powers said...

I hope you recover. Couldn't be from shoveling pond snow now could it? :)

Deb said...

thanks. FC-I'm suspecting that may have had something to do with it. Sad reminder that I am not in my twenties and invincible anymore.

Chris O'Byrne said...

Oh, Deb, I know EXACTLY what you're going through! A few years ago I had a minor car accident that resulted in neck pains that would just come on out of the blue. One time it was so bad that I couldn't even get in or out of the car without excruciating pain. When I wanted to turn over in my sleep I had to lift my head with my hands and gently move over. The only thing that ended up helping was getting some muscle relaxants from the doctor. That usually fixed it in one day. I hope you find relief soon!!

P.S.
Sara is home and doing well. Weak, but recovering.

Deb said...

chris- yup, that's how it felt trying to get out of bed. But I'm feeling much better today.

It's good to hear that Sara's home! What an ordeal.

Taradharma said...

Deb, I found you through the Bums. As my blog will attest, I have been recently much plagued by a sore neck. I've suffered, needed demoral shot, vicodin. Of course that only renders one unconscious, so I eventuall got it together to see my chiropractor and then an acupuncturist. The acupuncture yesterday was spectacularly good! I'm finally at the stage I can use heat on it instead of ice. And I, like you, did DO anything out of the ordinary. I've even been using hypnotherapy to try and relax the muscles. Anyway, a lot about me, just to let you know yer not alone (and I like to whine) and that maybe some of these modalities may help you. Be well soon!

Deb said...

hey taradharma- thanks for the advice. I don't think I've got it as bad as you did, but it's still a little achy. I've found out the Tylenol+codeine works great at night, but then the next day I'm all jittery and out of sorts. So I'm trying to stick to ibuprofen and rum & diet Pepsi lime. If this keeps up I may try a chiropractor. Hope you're feeling better too!