Saturday, January 21, 2006

one year ago...

...Sand Creek Almanac was born. I started it after I read a post on a message board about blogs. I had never even read a blog before, and I was pretty vague on the concept of what one was. I thought it maybe was a way for self-centered people to say "Look at me! Look at me!" :) And now, well...look at me! A certified blogaholic.

What I didn't expect about blogging, aside from the fact that I'd be still doing it one year later, is the community of people I've gotten to know through their comments here and their own blogs, many of which I read daily. Just this week The Hermit got to meet Madcapmum personally, and even though I wasn't there I felt like I'd in some way connected with an old friend. I've gotten to know about different parts of the world, through the daily experiences of people and their eloquent words and beautiful photos.

Blogging has also been a way of communicating with real-life friends whom I do not see every day. Just yesterday I stopped by the organic food store in town and a friend was working there. "I've been reading your blog, Deb," she said, "and I just wanted to let you know when you posted about how hard it was doing the chores alone, I know just how you feel!"

So to all of you who read this, thanks for your interest in what I have to say! I always appreciate your thoughtful comments.

8 comments:

Madcap said...

Happy Birthday!

Was there life before blog? Perhaps our new chronology should convert from B.C. and A.D. to B.B. and A. B. I'm certainly glad you've kept with it, because it's a lifeline for me, knowing that other people are making a go at the kind of life I want to be living. And you're a good writer, too, so it's not a painful visit!

R.Powers said...

I agree with Mum, we need that new chronology.

You are my window on the frozen north. The fact that your childhood touched down in my neighborhood makes it even more fun from my vantage point.

Happy First Blogoversary!

Jim said...

Happy bloggiversary Deb from another certifiable blogaholic!

My bloggiversary is coming up next month.

I've putting that music together for you, hopefully I'll get something off to you Monday.

Anonymous said...

Happy bloggiversary from the even more frozen north Deb. Keep it up, you are always an enjoyable read.

Anonymous said...

Huh? What's a blog?

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for about a week now (i got here via Rexroth and dead pirate) and I enjoy your writing style and the content.

I too just had my one year blogiversary. I wonder now how I survived so long without my blog.

Chris O'Byrne said...

I have unsubscribed from a number of blogs, just to keep my last thread of sanity. Yours is one that I kept! :)

We haven't officially announced it yet, but due to Sara's continuing health problems, we are moving back to Rochester. Good thing we held on to our apartment!

Rurality said...

I know exactly what you mean. Except that for some reason it always seems to startle me when someone from "real life" talks to me about the blog. (I guess I expect them to email instead!)

I think my husband gets tired of me talking about bloggers sometimes too. :)