Friday, May 27, 2005

The war has hit close to home

I just heard the news that Matthew Lourey, son of state Senator Becky Lourey, who represents my district, was killed in a helicopter crash in Iraq.

I know some of the Loureys. Becky and her husband Gene had twelve children, many of them adopted. I got to know Becky, Gene, and some of the family while working for a short time at their family business two years ago. I don't think I had met Matthew.

Becky is a liberal Democrat who counted among her friends the late Sen. Paul Wellstone.

My heart goes out to the family for their loss.

Thanks, George W. How many more will it take?

1 comment:

Deb said...

You're really speaking my language, Erich. Who is it--Lucy Kaplansky maybe--that has a song that goes "What's so crazy about peace, love, and understanding?"

I have two young sons, so it really hits me how terrible it would be to lose one of them in such a senseless way. I'm sure becoming a parent will make you feel even more strongly about it.