Thursday, May 05, 2005

Carpe diem, carpe momentum

Carpe Cyprinus carpio. (Seize the carp)
Feel free to correct my Latin if "momentum" is not the correct term for "moment". I have learned that if I'm going to play music at home, it will not come in long, preplanned blocks of time during which I can work out all of the musical ideas that have been going through my head as well as run through some fundamental exercises. On all 4 instruments. Dream on! Instead, I have to be ready, like I was last night. It was after dinner, the sun was going down, the kids were playing out in front, and I certainly wasn't in the mood to start washing dishes, not on the first pleasant weather evening in over a week! So I grabbed my mandolin, sat out on the back deck, and picked a few tunes. Nothing fancy, just basic fiddle tunes I had learned years ago. A few spring peepers and chorus frogs joined in, as well as the woodcock. This probably lasted all of fifteen minutes before the kids came back, looking for me, but for just a short time I felt I was living in the moment, and I was at peace.

3 comments:

Dan Trabue said...

Guess who gave a free mando seminar here in Louisville last weekend, with free mandolin strings put on while you were at the store?! Sam Bush!

Guess who did not seize the carp and go?

Deb said...

Awww Dan....HOW COULD YOU NOT GO!!! Sam is my hero!!! And free strings to boot...tsk tsk.

Dan Trabue said...

Well, then I hesitate to tell you he was also just here in concert with Nickel Creek and friends and I also didn't attend that. At least I had a reason, in that I was out of town this time. Maybe next time?