Sunday, June 22, 2008

guess what...

We have chicks. I told The Hermit we had so much going on this summer, I didn't think we had time for them, but...oh well. I like eggs. They're all girls. Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps (assalopes :) and Araucaunas. For blue eggs.

Today I broke two strings on my bouzouki while attempting to tune it. They were old strings, I understand, and I had replacements, but...before today I had never broken a string, on any instrument! I know... that tells me I have been seriously neglecting this instrument, which I have. And, that generally, I don't play enough. Which I plead guilty to. I will try to remedy that situation. I did have a kickass session on it, after strings were changed. I'm almost ready to make a video and post it. It was that fun! For those left utterly confused, bouzouki= a mandolin family instrument in a lower tuning, generally an octave lower than your regular mando but there are lots of variations. I mostly do GDGD tuning.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Ooh, chicks! I love getting chicks! We have some meat birds coming in a few weeks.

Do you have a fresh egg source while your birds grow? We get more than we can use, so give a holler if you ever need any!

Jayne said...

Orpingtons, Australorps, Araucaunas, Bouzouki.... a word fest for me today!! Sweet, sweet chicks! Love the sound of a mandolin, so I am sure I'd love the sound of that Asutralorp...err... bouzouki! ;c)

R.Powers said...

I know what a bouzouki is, but GDGD?
Remember I am musically stupid.
Cute chicks!

Deb said...

Heidi- They are fun, aren't they? But I'm thinking, we have to clean and rearrange the chicken house, and find where the weasel is getting into the chicken yard and fix it. But we also have a chicken tractor, so that won't be for a while.

We have a couple of friends who are keeping us supplied with eggs for now. But if we run short, I'll let you know! Thanks for the offer!

Jayne- Yes, this post was full of exotic sounding names. :)

FC- The chicks are growing, already.

GDGD refers to the notes the strings are tuned to...I don't have time to go into a thesis on music theory here, and it's pretty hard to explain what it sounds like in words. The notes the strings are tuned to make all the difference, both in ease of playing and overall sound. I think I've found what works for me!

RuthieJ said...

Good luck with your little chicks! They sure are cute!