Friday, March 07, 2008

Treasures of a cold March day

The high temperature maybe got to 12 degrees F. Oh well, it still felt much warmer in the strong sunlight. And it's gotta end soon, right?

I didn't see my barred owl, although I made an effort. I did see a flock of Bohemian waxwings over the town of Hinckley, where I work. I hope they found the two crab apple trees that are still loaded with fruit.

There are two red tailed hawks now at the site where I've been seeing one. A pair maybe?

And, when I came home and went inside my warm house, what did I see perched in the dead spruce above the feeder? The most gorgeous red male cardinal. For those of you in more southern climes, even the Twin Cities of MN, cardinals are a rare treat around here. He just perched there in the spruce branch until sunset. I'm hoping he thought he found a good food source with good cover, and we'll see more of him. I had not seen a cardinal since December.

1 comment:

RuthieJ said...

I've never met a person who didn't like cardinals! How nice that you have one Deb. Hopefully he'll stick around and maybe even find a mate to come live with him at your place.