Sunday, March 09, 2008

The goose is in, and other news

I finally got that darned goose back in the pen. Today's sun was strong enough that it softened the snow around the gate so I could dig it out enough to open the gate about one foot. Then I threw some feed inside the pen, and chased the offending goose towards the gate with the shovel. Success! But did the goose thank me? It acted like it was happy to be in, but it still hissed at me. Oh well.

Why do we keep geese, anyway?

I finally saw a few snow buntings today. I had to take Calvin to a friend's house, and on the way home I took a detour to a road where snow buntings are often seen. We had traveled that road yesterday with no buntings. Today I had better luck, with a small flock of about six snow buntings sighted. They will be heading for the Arctic tundra soon.

While I drove around, I was listening to one of my favorite radio shows, Celtic Connections on KUMD out of Duluth. I just love Celtic music, and I enjoy playing it, but I'm afraid it's time to take the flute in for another tune up.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wondered what happened to the goose...I enjoy your site.

Anonymous said...

So flutes need to be tuned. That's something I had never known!

barefoot gardener said...

Geese are ungratefull critters, for sure.

Ahhh, the flute. Are you planning on new pads and a cleaning? I have been thinking about hauling mine out of the closet and seeing if I still "have it".

Unknown said...

We are flute players too -- I played for years and now my 9th-grade daughter is an amazing flutist. She just had a big solo part (in the William Tell Overture) at Orchestra Hall with the Minnesota Youth Symphonies. Yeah, we need to take the flute in for some routine maintenance as well. We go to Katie Lowry in Shoreview -- she's an hour away from us, but well worth it.

Anonymous said...

We watched Celtic Thunder perform on public tv a few days ago-part of a fundraiser for public tv. They were awesome. Last nigh Celtic Woman performed. They are awesome, too.
momadness

Deb said...

Jan- Thanks! It's nice to hear from you!

Pablo- I try to tune it every time I play it...but sometimes it needs professional help.

BG- So you're a flute player too! Definitely get it out and have some fun with it!

Penelope- Congratulations to your daughter! I wish I had gotten involved with the youth symphony when I was that age. And thanks for the reference. The school band director told me he'd look at it and maybe do some minor stuff, but I'll definitely keep Katie in mind if it needs anything more. By the way, I play a Miyazawa PCM 300-RH (If I'm reading the fine print stamp right!) I bought it used the summer before my junior year in college, and it's been a great instrument for me.

Momadness- I'll have to watch for the pledge drives on public TV here; they usually show some good stuff then if you can stand the twenty minute pleas for money in between.

Larry said...

we have a local college station that has bluegrass and celtic programs-I enjoy listening to both.
Glad you got what may be your last look at Snow Buntings for a while.

Deb said...

Larry- I really enjoy both... glad you have a local station that plays those kinds of music!

I'm afraid that may have been my last look at snow buntings for a while. Glad Lynne and Ruth got to see them when they stopped by here!