Sunday, September 03, 2006

a picture is worth a thousand words

Sorry folks, I'm suffering from a bout of much to say but inability to actually sit down and take the time to say it coherently. So I'll leave you with some pictures of my oft-neglected flowers that manage to keep blooming.

This is butterfly weed, but it is blooming about a month later than usual around here. That may be due to the Monarch caterpillars that completely defoliated this plant in June. I thought it was done for, but it managed a graceful late-season comeback. I don't hold anything against the caterpillars; I hope they made it to replace the monarchs I have killed with my car this year. :(

I had saved some Cosmos seed from a garden somewhere a few years ago, and I thought it was the pink and white and magenta kind. Oh well, the orange is beautiful.

And, for contrast, we have this white coneflower surrounded by purple Nicotiana, my new favorite. I have grown white Nicotiana alata before, and loved the fragrance, but these purples seem to be just as fragrant. Next year I'll grow a garden of purples and whites; no, although I'm from Minnesota I'm not much of a Vikings fan, especially lately since they have a tendency to behave badly off the field. ;) But the colors are nice.

1 comment:

R.Powers said...

I have an heirloom orange cosmos that gets overhead and the butterflies love it. Unfortunately the deer really love it this year and it's annual reseeding is in doubt.

I like your coneflowers and butterfly weed. Love tough plants.