Wednesday, June 14, 2006

all we are saying, is give peas a chance


These are the best looking pea plants I have ever grown. They are Sugar Snaps, which make the most sense to me to grow because there's no waste with the pods. And they like cool weather, which we've had no shortage of, at least in June. Late May was a scorcher. The peas are just starting to flower.

This is bunchberry, the "chihuahua" of the dogwood family. They are a low-growing woodland plant, and they bear clusters of red berries later in the summer. They grow wild here along the path to the cabin.

My bedroom phoebes have fledged. Let the building resume, I intend to be in there by September!

And, as long as I'm rambling, this is a good chance to let you know about my alter ego blog, Songs from Sky Blue Waters. SBW is a chance to let the writer in me come out, without distracting from the content and theme of Sand Creek Almanac. I will still continue to post here as usual, and even take some creative license, I just felt it was time to start another venture where I could experiment more with poetry, songwriting, and prose. I consider it a work in progress, very experimental in nature, so be warned. But feel free to offer constructive criticism as well!

5 comments:

barefoot gardener said...

I love the photo of that buchberry! I have a small woodland flower garden over at my dads, and I was wondering if you could share some info on it. Is it legal to transplant, if I were to find it wild, or do I have to look to buy it? What sun requirements does it have? Does it prefer wet or dry conditions?

Good luck with your peas, they are my favorite right from the garden!

LauraHinNJ said...

The bunchberry is lovely! I only ever see it in the Adirondacks.

R.Powers said...

Wow, I had to grow sugar snaps back in January to keep them cool enough. They'd curl up and die here now.
They do look great tho.

Deb said...

barefoot gardener- As far as I know, bunchberry is not on any endangered lists, so it would be legal to dig some (with permission of course), as long as it's from an area that has plenty of them to begin with. It thrives in partial shade, in somewhat moist acidic soil. The one in the photo is in a shady area dominated by tall pines, and they seem to do well there. It would make a nice addition to your woodland garden!

laurahinnj- I guess I'm lucky to have the right conditions for them here. I liked how the light in this photo showed the texture of the leaves.

Deb said...

I got the bunchberry at just the right time. The sepals are starting to fade, already.