Sunday, June 08, 2008

I'm a (step) mother-in-law!

And does that ever make me feel old. They better wait to have kids until I'm good and ready.

Yesterday my stepson Tom (whom if I recall right was about Mr. Attitude's age at my wedding), married his high school sweetheart, Abbi. They have known each other over ten years and been together much of that time. I hope they keep finding happiness, love, and strength through each other for many years ahead. They certainly make a nice looking couple.
The kids were all decked out for the occasion. Mr. Attitude caught a little rest on the way to the festivities so he could be at his best at the reception, flirting with the bridesmaids and impressing everyone with his break dancing talent. (Where did THAT come from???) Calvin, as usual, was a bit more thoughtful and introspective about the whole affair. Starflower enjoyed the party. I, of course, was out of my element in a crowd that consisted mostly of the bride's family. But we stayed, danced a few dances, and had fun. One of Tom's friends wrote an original song for the couple that he performed at the reception, between dinner and the dance. It was amazing. I think it has hit song potential. Seriously, it was that good. It made me cry, anyway.

It was good to see all of my stepkids and their significant others, and to be reminded that I am not in my twenties anymore, and to be thankful for that, I guess.

I am a bit tired today, after all we didn't get home until after eleven, so I've been taking it easy, although I did manage to get tomatoes planted.

Oh, and as we were leaving for the wedding, we met the electrician coming up the driveway. He decided to take advantage of the good weather Saturday to do some work. Which is a post in itself. Stay tuned.

8 comments:

R.Powers said...

Congratulations!
Your son looks so thoughtful in that picture.

Jayne said...

"...to be reminded that I am not in my twenties anymore, and to be thankful for that..."

Amen Deb!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Such a sweet picture of your boys Deb! Such a big day. You'll have to start prepairing yourself to be called the "G" word. (grandma!!)

;)

Somehow your blog fell off my RSS feed so I've missed commenting on a few posts. Keep after your PA about the Lyme. Second and third infections are very difficult to be detected accurately by lab test.

Love your starflower- I've never seen one, except your pretty girl Starflower of course!!

barefoot gardener said...

Congrats to the happy couple!

The boys look so cute in their little ties and all.

Anonymous said...

What handsome young men you have! Big brothers have alot of responsibilities. Defending the honor of little sisters and teaching little brothers wonderful, useful things. At least he did'nt give his brother an elbow jab. No, he left him lean on his shoulder. Something he will do often as he grows and matures.

Deb said...

FC- thanks. Calvin really is a thoughtful kid.

Jayne- The deejay played Billy Idol's version of "Mony Mony", and I sat there watching all the kids yelling out the chant I learned as a college student, and all I could think was..."This is really stupid!" :)

Lynne- If Tom's big brother ties the knot soon, I will be an instant step-step grandma! (His girlfriend has an eight year old son) Life is strange.

Barefoot- Thanks. The boys did look really impressive.

Cindy- You nailed it. Big brother = big responsibilities. I am confident he is up to the task.

RuthieJ said...

Those are some pretty handsome guys you've got there Deb. I suppose the girls are already calling on the phone.....

Deb said...

RuthieJ- Thankfully, they are not...yet. Calvin enters middle school next fall, and I know how that can be...seventh and eighth grades were terrible for me. I hope the girl calls don't come for a while...