Thursday, April 03, 2008

This and that

Today's new bird sightings and/or hearings:

This morning I opened the door and was greeted to the call of sandhill cranes in a nearby swamp. Later I sighted a pair of them in a field on my route to work.

On my way to work I saw a flock of 8-10 hooded mergansers on Sand Creek a few miles from my house. On my way home I saw three of them on the big pool in the creek by my home. Male hooded mergansers are just amazing looking birds.

Also seen and/or heard: killdeers, red winged blackbirds, harriers, and one bluebird. The temperature soared into the mid fifties today. Spring is here.

In blogging related business, please go here and here for Thingfish23's amazing photos of the bird that got me started on a life of birding at age 6. And, just past the male painted bunting, I found this apology. Apparently, when he was doing some blog renovation he lost my link in his sidebar, and it was gone for a while. I had noticed I wasn't there, but thought oh well, it's his sidebar. But it really made my day to see that he actually posted an apology about inadvertently leaving me out! That is one classy blogger. I probably would have just put the link back in and hoped no one noticed...Can you tell I have this thing about being acknowledged? Anyway, thank you Thingfish23. If God Forbid I ever make it to south Florida, I hope we can meet up. (I was in Fort Myers Beach in 1985 for spring break, that's probably the closest I'll get.)

7 comments:

MojoMan said...

Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get us! I noticed my link disappeared from someone's blog and I'm CONVINCED it was was intentional and personal. I actually considered returning the favor. But, hey, I only check SiteMeter 20 times a day. Good thing you're not on Nature Blog Network. You could watch your rating creep up and down the list all day long. We fret so much because the stakes are so low.

Isn't it funny how we can get so wrapped up in something that didn't even exist until a couple of years ago?

It's amazing how quickly you can go from the deep freeze to spring. I think I would crack...or crack up!

RuthieJ said...

Hi Deb,
I going out to scout for turkeys early tomorrow morning. I can hardly wait to find out what kinds of birds I'm going to hear. Saw a bluebird over at my neighbor's last week, but I sure would like to see (or hear) some sandhill cranes too. Did you ever think we could be so excited about temps in the 50's??

Deb said...

MojoMan- That's about how often I check Site Meter. :) Actually, that's how I found out Thingfish23 had put a link there, somewhere. It's really a good way to find out when someone new has linked.

Spring does literally burst forth here. It's almost too much to keep up with.

RuthieJ- It seems like 50's are so slow in coming this year! Hope you find some turkeys. I guess my area here is having its first ever hunt this spring. Who woulda thunk it?

R.Powers said...

I have met the Thingfish and he is one cool dude. His wife is charming too ... they are just all 'round good company.

Deb said...

FC- I remember you blogging about that...which is one reason I think Thingfish would be so dang cool to meet.

Anonymous said...

And I'm just now finding this? DUH. Thanks, yall!

Deb said...

Hey Thingfish- I haven't been blogging much lately, which must be why you're digging deep around here! I have a complex about being acknowledged, so seeing that post on your blog just made my day, week, month, whatever.