Saturday, January 05, 2008

Rearrangement Day

I think the day we take the Christmas tree out, usually the first Saturday after New Year's Day, should be a holiday in itself. It always feels good to purge the Christmas clutter, which, joyous as it may be, has its time and its place.

Today I turned it into a whole living room rearrangement thing. The spruce Calvin and I cut went out to spend the rest of the winter as bird shelter by the feeder (not that we need any more, it's just a good idea). I brought the Shop Vac in and spent about an hour picking up needles and cobwebs. Needles and cobwebs. That sounds like a good name for a song, or even my first album. :)

Then I had the bright idea of moving the TV and accessories from the corner, where it wasted a lot of space, to the wall, where it would not waste quite as much space. Then we moved a rocking chair into the empty corner, moved a lamp over by the (now not used lately) wood stove, then brought a halogen lamp in from the cook shed to light the rocking chair corner. I entertain fantasies about cuddling up with a good book in that chair, but as long as the TV is on (16 hours a day) I don't know if that will happen. But it sure looks nice, that chair, draped with a Woolrich Indian blanket. And all the open space on the floor. I may finally have a place to do yoga or Pilates, if I can grab the TV/DVD player before everyone else.

In the words of The Big Lebowski: "It really ties the room together!" :)

7 comments:

R.Powers said...

I still have to take down my Christmas lights,but the tree is out in the yard.

Deb said...

FC- We still have lights outside, and they will probably be up for a while. And I didn't take down Calvin's lights around his bed, he's at a friend's house tonight and sometimes he doesn't react well to changes like that, done without his consent. :)

MojoMan said...

Sixteen hours a day is a lot of TV. I find myself craving quiet at times, so I turn everything off and sit alone and read, scribble some notes or just daydream. I know that's not easy with a tiny house full of family, but maybe you could assert your parenthood and declare a daily TV-free reading hour. It would be good for the kids' reading skills and good for your sanity.

barefoot gardener said...

Wow! I gotta get my tree down, man.

That stew sounds fabulous! I am definitely gonna have to try that one.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some good therapy resulting in some harmonious living space. It does make a person feel good to get that done, eh?

Mama Tango said...

You know, I find that sometimes it's just noise my kids crave instea of actually sitting and watching a specific show. When those times arise (and I try to make them arise often), I turn on a music channel instead of a show channel. They are none the wiser and will go play in their room, or read a book or what-have-you. It's a nice change of pace...one that 'm looking forward to more and more every day.

Deb said...

Mojoman- I was perhaps exaggerating a bit, sixteen hours is probably the maximum. Still, it is a lot. I think this weekend I may be able to salvage the ice on the pond, and we may be able to go skating. The kids like it, I love it.

BG- I can't believe how good it tasted. I could even taste the contribution of eggplant, and it was good!

Momadness- Oh yeah, the open floor space looked and felt wonderful. Now to keep it that way!

Catty Ax Lady- Yes, I think they have been conditioned to have "something" on, even if it is noise. But we're still in the honeymoon period of satellite TV, I think habits will change once the daylight lengthens. Calvin has a new skateboard he's dying to try out...