Tuesday, May 09, 2006

today

I saw a swan as I was driving home. I thought it was a goose at first, as its flight was very gooselike, but as it flew over me, as I drove under it, I could see it was definitely a swan, very white and long-necked. I'm thinking it was a trumpeter swan, just because it was alone, and it was a large bird.

By the way, my grandma's (maternal side) maiden name was Swan. I think it was by choice of her grandfather, a Swedish immigrant who decided the original surname (Lindroth, I think?) was far too common.

In other news, I heard a house wren at work, and I saw a hermit thrush. White trilliums are blooming, but there are none on my 40 acres. I do have wood anemone, though.

3 comments:

Endment said...

How very beautiful! I love watching (and listening to) the swans fly.

I think I am going to pick up some trillium from a native plant nursery... I really want some in the woods surrounding the house.

Madcap said...

We had a trumpeter over the house a week ago. Very close to my hometown they have nesting grounds.

R.Powers said...

Okay, wild swan envy. We can only see them in domestication around here. I did have a turkey with poults cross the road in front of me this morning.