Tuesday, January 01, 2008

happy new year to me...

And a happy new year to all of you who believe enough that I have something to say to keep checking back here! :)

My New Years Day was really sort of a nothing day, which was exactly what I needed. Nowhere to go, no big plans, just take it as it comes. It was cold, with a high barely 5 above minus wind chill. Otherwise I could have talked myself into cross country skiing. Instead, I dragged out the neglected Taylor 512 guitar, and my neglected voice, and sang and played a bunch of Kate Wolf songs. I think my guitar playing leaves a lot to be desired, but in truth I could probably hold up accompanying myself at an open mike. Which I hope to do this year, even if it's at the Gas Light in Sandstone.

I also watched birds, hung some suet out at the feeder, and practiced banjo. I learned another Kate Wolf song (Red Tailed Hawk, actually written by George Schroder) in A minor on banjo.

I need to get a band together, or at least find some people around here who want to play roughly the same kind of music. Playing music alone is...lonely. You can do great things, but who is there to share them?

8 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I'll always come here to see what you have to say Deb. Your is one of the first blogs and will always be on my favorite list. I'll be motoring up to Sandstone to hear you sing as soon as you're ready!

robin andrea said...

I'd love to hear you play Red-Tailed Hawk. I'll never forget that you sent that to me when I was needing to hear it. Such a beautiful piece of music. I listen to Kate Wolf almost everyday. I love the sound of her voice.

Have you ever tried recording yourself and posting music online? I think it would be so cool to hear your voice here.

Stay warm and happy new year, deb.

barefoot gardener said...

Of course we all check in with you darlin'! We love to hear what you have to say.

And I, of course, will come to cheer you on when you play for the public. Good luck either getting out solo or getting a group together! Let us know what happens...

R.Powers said...

Like writing, but not publishing.

I hope you get your band, but regardless, I will be dropping in on a regular basis to keep up with the Minnesotarcticans.

Deb said...

Lynne- Cool! I need every audience member I can get!

Robin- I have her album "Close To You" in my car CD player right now. Probably her best, and of course I'm singing along. She died way too young. :(

I think about a year ago you pointed me to a free music recording software. I still have it, but for one reason or another, I have not done any serious recording with it. Lately it's easier to shoot a video and post it; I need to challenge myself to do that once in a while.

BG- Thanks, I will keep you posted. One thing I need to do is start looking seriously for other musicians. Which may involve a trip to Duluth for a jam session or two...fun!

FC- Exactly! A work of art is nothing until it is shared.

I appreciate your having me on your list of regular blog "hangouts". I enjoy reading about Pure Florida as well.

arcolaura said...

Ooh, I'd sure like to get in on one of those jam sessions. Couldn't be a regular band member though, from this distance. It's looking like we might go through Minnesota by train at the end of June - I'll let you know if there's any way we can swing a side trip to Duluth.

Deb said...

Arcolaura- I would love to jam with you!

As far as I know there isn't any passenger train service to Duluth, at least from Mpls/St. Paul, but if there was your train would go by a few miles from my house. But we have a van that fits eight, we may be able to make arrangements!

arcolaura said...

Yes, it appears that Amtrak runs through Mpls/St. Paul between Minot and Chicago, and the Duluth branch is only by bus. But now I'm not even sure if we're going by train after all, because there was some mistake when I was checking fares and the cost is actually double what I first thought. So... we are still debating. I'll let you know when we get something figured out!