Saturday, March 07, 2009

Gratitude

A few things I'm thankful for lately:

The weather. It has been melting, thawing, sun feels warm on your face March weather. Don't expect it to last forever though.

The birds I saw today: black capped chickadees, white breasted nuthatches, red breasted nuthatches, blue jays, crows, ravens, one cardinal, goldfinches, one female purple finch, one American tree sparrow, and the redpolls. Lots of them. And I saw a juvenile bald eagle yesterday morning. And turkey tracks today when I took my run.

Running. I am easily able to talk myself into it when the weather is nice, and I am always rewarded.

Neighbors. While I was running, I had a brief chat with the best neighbors in the world. Must invite them over soon.

Music. I played my banjo briefly today , but I recall a practice session yesterday when I was doing some incredible things. Too bad I can't recall most of them.

House. I love my house. Even though it isn't finished yet, we don't even have indoor plumbing for God's sake! I love it. And no mortgage.

Husband. He told me today how much he loves me. We are made for each other; nobody else would be crazy enough to love either of us!!

Kids. They are wonderful. They all cleaned and rearranged their rooms today. Perhaps my housecleaning efforts inspired them. I doubt it. Calvin insists on my practicing pitching and catching with him every day in our slushy driveway. Today he got his saxophone out, in part to annoy his siblings, but he got into a playing groove and I heard some really good stuff. Stuff you would not expect from an eleven year old! So I'm going to try and encourage him, and maybe lead by example, to practice every day.

This day. I am so glad I got to spend this day at home, rediscovering the every day wonder it is to be here. That is all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen.

Grizz………… said...

You have faith…in spring's return. Hope in your kids. A good neighbor. A warm, debt-free home. Music. Passion. Health. Beauty. Peace. Joy. Love.

You are rich almost beyond measure.

Jayne said...

Beautifully written Deb. Just beautiful... :c)

Anonymous said...

Indoor plumbing, eh? Does this mean there will be no more photos of you walking to the bathhouse in nothing more than a towel?

R.Powers said...

And we are thankful you share it with us.
:)

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

What a delight to read Deb.

Deb said...

Thanks everyone. It was one of my rare inspired writing moments, but I have been feeling that way all weekend for some reason.

Pablo- We're still doing the outdoor shower thing, but I'm through taking pictures! :)

Anonymous said...

Well-written. If we only take the time to stop and think about it, it's truly amazing what most of us can be thankful for. If only we stop running around...

RuthieJ said...

You've got a good life Deb!