Friday, July 04, 2008

I'm way in love...

...with our new house. Even though it's not finished, I think it's perfect in every way. My morning routine now includes (after, of course, my morning run, which I have been faithful to!) going out to the new house with a cup of coffee, meeting The Hermit there who has brought a Thermos of coffee, and just sitting there, listening and thinking and dreaming. Today I got my bouzouki out and just did some random playing on it, in between conversation, and it felt great.

Of course it helps that daylight comes by 5 AM these days, making me feel like a slacker if I sleep in until 6. Which I do.

Today Chris came over and did another coat of stuff on the drywall, then we put down cement board where I will soon be installing natural slate tiles for our hearth area.

I have a whole huge new thoughtful post in the works about our "green" choices we have been making lately for finishing the house. I hate to sound preachy about how we're doing things, because I am not the final authority on what works for everyone, I just know what has worked for us.

5 comments:

Jayne said...

You can sense the love you feel every time you talk about it Deb, and that is so special. To be in a place that enfolds you in joy is just simply the best.

R.Powers said...

Lead by example on that green stuff and share every bit of it.
We need to hear it.
I'll be doing some tiling too soon since I tore the fireplace surround apart.

Anonymous said...

I think when we have to work and wait for something we want, it becomes so much more precious to us when we finally have it. I am so happy for you that this dream is coming true.

Anonymous said...

You're preaching to the choir, sister! We all want to hear what you're trying, what's working, what could be improved. Don't hesitate. It's a message that needs to get spread. (Plus I like your blog anyway.)

RuthieJ said...

Hey Deb, I think it's great that you guys are building the new house almost all by yourself--you have every right to brag about it and your own personal choices to make it exactly the house you've dreamed about!