Sunday, February 03, 2008

An almost-met blogger

It looked good, in theory. Laura would arrive on a train, I would meet her, either at the station or somewhere in St. Paul. We would maybe go for a walk, have a relaxed dinner, and see the CD release party of The Whistlepigs, my friends and band that our blogging connection had sent across the border to Forget, Saskatchewan. Two years, now.

At least, that was the plan. I knew Laura's train was running late, but when I left here (two hours out from the Cities), her train was scheduled to come in at 5:06 pm. Perfect. Just enough time to hit the pub restaurant I had in mind, have a leisurely talk, and go on to the show.

Twenty minutes before said rendezvous, I had a call on my cell phone. Laura's train had broken down in Grand Forks, and she would not be arriving in St. Paul until around 10. Arrgh. She would miss the show, and have maybe an hour before she had to catch her train back to Saskatchewan. Awww. I felt her helplessness, but as long as I had driven that far, with Starflower in tow, I was determined to at least see The Whistlepigs.

Starflower and I had two hours to kill, and I knew we could not spend it at that cozy little tavern. So we headed for Rosedale Mall. Ugh. If I ever needed a reminder why I ABSOLUTELY HATE MALLS, this was it. I don't know why we did this, in retrospect, but I think it was maybe I thought Starflower would like it. We ate at Ruby Tuesday's, which was not good, not bad. At any rate, I won't be eating there again.

We arrived at the venue, and it turned out we had some local friends there. The show was wonderful. At intermission, I heard a voice message from Laura, who said she had to get off in St. Cloud, 75 miles northwest of the cities, so she could meet her return train. She didn't even make it to St. Paul.

So I'm thinking...maybe a trip to Saskatchewan this summer...anyway Laura, I'm really bummed that it didn't work out!

6 comments:

barefoot gardener said...

Well, that sure stinks. At least you got to see the band, but still.

Deb said...

BG- I was feeling pretty empty as I listened to the show. Even though I really enjoy The Whistlepigs and they are all great guys. Joel, the banjo player, is even a college classmate of mine, although we hardly knew each other then.

arcolaura said...

Aww, Deb, now I'm feeling sorry I left you sitting there feeling sorry for me! Mmph. Well, another time.

At least I got a great story for the grandkids!

Deb said...

Arcolaura- Please don't feel sorry for something that was way beyond your control!

I saw your story, although I have not taken the time to read it in its entirety. I'll have something to say about it, maybe tomorrow. If it had worked out that you could have stayed over at Fred's house (less than 20 miles from me) I would have invited myself to breakfast and jamming. Missy's an awesome cook. :)

arcolaura said...

Oops, forgot the smiley! ;) I'll have to remember that about Missy's cooking. I'm always on the lookout for a good meal...

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a bummer! I read Laura's tale of her journey and was blown away. It's too bad her getting such a story had to interfere with you two having a fun night.