Saturday, December 19, 2009

the grand entrance

I spent a great deal of time today decluttering our entry room, cleaning, and sorting mittens and gloves. I realized I had probably never blogged about this very essential room, so here it is.

The room is something like 8 x 12, and it sits on the southwest corner of the house, the corner you first see if you are coming up the driveway. There is an 8 x 8 deck outside the door. The room has one south facing window which, as you can see, lets in a great amount of heating light during the winter. There are a few storage boxes and bins under the window; sometimes we store firewood there. I have one box of onions there now, and that location seems to offer the right temperature to keep them.

That is a real church pew under all of our heavy winter jackets. The Hermit found it on Craig's list, and it fits in well there. Today was the first time in a long while that it wasn't all covered and cluttered with stuff. I cleaned it and gave it a generous rubbing with lemon oil, which it sucked up like a sponge.

In a climate where jackets and boots are a necessity a large part of the year, a room like this is nice. It serves as a nice transition between the outdoors and the indoors.

5 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Looks terrific!

Craig's List huh?
I need a church pew...

LauraHinNJ said...

The light there is gorgeous... I'd want to linger and ponder the season, I think.

:-)

Madcap said...

Mmm... I have entrance envy. And yeah, the light is gorgeous!

cheryl said...

What a great room and the sun would dry out the wet boots and mittens too . Love , love the church pew , beautiful wood !

Deb said...

Lynne- It's good if you can find one that has been cut down in size, like we did. Most church pews are pretty wide.

LauraH- Before we finished more of the house, we used to sit and drink coffee on the church pew. It does have a great southern exposure.

Madcap- But this is only when it's clean!

Cheryl- Yes, I think the sun helps us out in drying things. Now if I could only get everyone to hang their jackets up!