Saturday, April 09, 2005

Magic, alive evening

It is just after sunset, and the air is alive with the sound of Western chorus frogs, wood frogs, and spring peepers. The woodcock are making their amazing display of skydancing, landing in the vicinity of my garden, where today I planted my first seeds: various lettuce, spinach, mizuna, tatsoi, arugula, orach. The thermometer hit 70 degrees today, and I spent most of my time outdoors, abandoning washing the dishes when a friend from church, Richard, showed up with his metal detector. Our property contains part of the old St. Croix logging railroad right of way, which operated from 1890-1896 (approximate), and Richard is the local authority on logging railroad history. He found several artifacts today, including the best Peavey hook he's ever found. And a pair of ox shoes, like horseshoes except made in two pieces for the hooves of oxen.

The air outside is just full of music, dancing, life. What a wonderful time of year.

No comments: