Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Just found a great book at the library!

And it's so ironic that the first thing I want to do is hop on the Internet and talk about it...(rolling eyes) It is The Plain Reader, edited by Scott Savage. The subtitle reads "Essays on Making a Simple Life". It contains essays by a number of authors, including some of my favorites such as Gene Logsdon, Wendell Berry, and John Taylor Gatto, on various themes: Making a Life, Choosing Health, Working, Unplugging the Media, Reclaiming Distance and Place, and Seeking Knowledge and Wisdom. Thus far I have only read the introduction, and two of the essays on Working, and I feel that many of the words are describing the direction to which my life is drawn.

What is amazing is that I did not go searching for this book. I went to the library to pick up another book I had on interlibrary loan, Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, and to browse the religion/spirituality section hoping for some enlightenment. I came back with four volumes' worth of enlightenment, and Mahler's Fifth Symphony on CD.

No comments: