Monday, February 07, 2005

What I've been reading

Maybe this should read: "What has been sitting on my nightstand or in my backpack while I try desperately to sneak in a page or two here and there". Reading, and having young kids, a job, and a marriage that needs attention, are not very compatible.

A Reasonable Life, Ferenc Mate. To tell the truth, I almost decided to put it down halfway through the preface. Too depressing, and too close to my own bleak observations of society today. But I persevered, and am getting more certain that I am on the way to living "a simpler, secure, more humane existence". Now if only society would take note.

Tales of Burning Love, Louise Erdrich. This is the only Erdrich novel that I had not read yet, and I'm about halfway through. So far I'm not disappointed, although intrigued and perplexed at times. What I really need is a complete guide to the characters in her novels; they are all interconnected and when a new character is introduced there is usually a connection to someone from another novel, although who or what I just can't remember.

Gardening for All Seasons, The New Alchemy Institute. Although somewhat dated, this is one of the few books I have seen that explores the possibilities of extended season gardening (Yes, I've read Eliot Coleman) and small scale aquaculture.

Where would I be without my local library?

No comments: