Saturday, January 01, 2005

favorite quotes

Belief? What do I believe in? I believe in sun. In rock. In the dogma of the sun and the doctrine of the rock. I believe in blood, fire, woman, rivers, eagles, storm, drums, flutes, banjos, and broom tailed horses.
A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Life without music would be an intolerable insult. -Edward Abbey

So, friends, every day do something
that won't compute. Love the Lord.
Love the world. Work for nothing.
Take all that you have and be poor.
Love someone who does not deserve it.

Denounce the government and embrace
the flag. Hope to live in that free
republic for which it stands.
Give your approoval to all you cannot
understand. Praise ignorance, for what man
has not encountered he has not yet destroyed...

...As soon as the generals and the politicos
can predict the motions of your mind,
lose it. Leave it as a sign
to mark the false trail, the way
you didn't go.

Be like the fox
who makes more tracks than necessary,
some in the wrong direction.
Practice resurrection.

-Wendell Berry, from Manifesto: The Mad Farmer Liberation Front

"There's nothing in the world like a woman with an axe in her hands."-Eleutheros

"Deb, you are a blogging goddess, and anything you have to post is golden to me!" -Pablo

"I like to hike and ride bicycles,and I drink good beer & cheap wine..." -Jim

From the Ancient Chinese, 2500 B.C. "When the sun rises, I go to work, When the sun goes down, I take my rest, I dig the well from which I drink, I farm the soil that yields my food, I share creation, Kings can do no more."

Everybody's looking for answers. Hard times will bust a chump! -Everett Ulysses McGill, O Brother Where Art Thou?

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. - Calvin and Hobbes

All the religion we have is the ethics of one or another holy person.Random Quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson, courtesy of The Transcendentalists

"You got time to breathe, you got time for music!" - Briscoe Darling, The Andy Griffith Show

(more to come; this post is a work in progress)

No comments: