Thursday, March 11, 2010

Amazing Grace

The other day I had a rare moment alone in our acoustically wonderful house, and my flute was in my hands. The recorder was also nearby, so I turned it on and started playing an old favorite tune.

I think I played it better than I ever have.

I learned this version of "Amazing Grace" when I was a senior in college. The flute section played this in unison as part of our program for our band tour to Arizona and California. I have since played it many times at church services. I have played it at three funerals: my grandpa's, my great uncle's, and my mom's.

This is one of those tunes that just transcends everything.

12 comments:

Lausten North said...

I can think of a small audience at 3rd and Cedar that would enjoy this.

Jayne said...

How beautiful Deb. So beautiful and so very moving. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

MamaHen said...

wow. absolutely beautiful.

Clare said...

Very evocative Deb. I have to say though, I've left instructions that no one is to play Amazing Grace at my funeral unless its the Dropkick Murphy's version.

Kathie said...

Wow! Took my breath away.

Island Rider said...

Just dropped in between a whirlwind of appointments and meetings. This was just what I needed to calm my racing heart. Thank you!

Sue said...

That gave me goosebumps. Thanks for sharing!

Deb said...

Lausten- MLUMC? I would be more than happy to come and play there some time.

Jayne- Thank you! And I listened to your song--wow! You have a beautiful, strong voice! Music is proof of a higher power indeed.

Edifice Rex- Thank you.

Clare- Once again Google saved the day. I want to come to your funeral! Umm, I mean, I hope by the time you pass on I'll be way too old to make the trip to Arctic Bay if I'm not in the grave myself, but with music like that it would ROCK! :)

Kathie- Thank you.

Island Rider- Glad I could help you in your busy day!

Sue- Thank you for listening. I am really grateful for all of the people I know through blogging. :)

Dani said...

That was beautiful Deb!!!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Your music moved me to tears this morning Deb.
Lovely.

RuthieJ said...

That was beautiful Deb. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Nance said...

I played the clarinet but would rather have played the flute . . . and now I remember why.