Saturday, January 28, 2012

I'm still here...

Yes, I am still here in the blogging world, still trying to figure out the intricacies of blogging photos on the iPad. I've been meaning to post more often, tell about my birding trip to Sax Zim Bog with Lynne, my reunion with high school friends I hadn't seen in years. Et cetera. But what matters most to me, this morning, is that I am alive and well. And I am reminded that I am not invincible. Last night, when I was driving to the activity bus stop a mile and a half from home to pick up Nina and her friend, I skidded straight through a "T" intersection and ended up well beyond the ditch. I'm fine, the car took some serious hits from tree stumps and saplings and is not drivable. It all happened so fast, I am at a loss to explain what went wrong, why such an ordinary drive I make all the time ended up that way. I was a half mile away from home, approaching the intersection which is the north end of my road. I stepped on the brakes as usual, and...nothing happened. I kept going. There was fresh snow on the road, but nothing I'm not used to. I think my brakes failed. The whole thing was kind of a blur, but I don't remember hearing the anti lock brakes grind, I don't remember feeling any slowing down when I stepped on the brakes. I know I didn't accidentally hit the accelerator because I was pressing down hard and the engine didn't rev. Whatever it was, and I'm willing to admit I probably was not concentrating as much as I should have, but STILL...anyway, I'm pretty lucky to be alive and unhurt, except maybe for my ego. I am humbled and reminded that anything can happen, anytime, and life can change in an instant. I'm still here, and I am grateful.

9 comments:

Muffy's Marks said...

I'm glad you didn't get hurt, or have kids in the car. Hope your car won't cost too much to repair. Have a safe weekend.

Caroline said...

I have had similar happen, very scary. Hope you are ok today!

Island Rider said...

So glad you are okay.

Shannon said...

So glad to hear you're all right!

Pablo said...

I'm glad you're still with us. I'm sorry about your mishap. I've had a few like that myself.

webb said...

So glad you are ok. it can happen in a heartbeat and not be at all your fault. Glad you didn't have the kids with you.

Give yourself a bit of space today.

Anonymous said...

Oh my; that's beyond scary. So glad you survived that.
vickie in kc

Deb said...

Thanks for all the good words. I haven't spoken with the claims adjuster yet (left 3 messages this afternoon), but the estimate from the collision center is really adding up... those tree stumps and saplings did a number on the underside. It just may be totaled, and that may not be a bad thing.

R.Powers said...

Chiming in late,but I'm glad you are still here too!