Saturday, September 18, 2010

here's the problem

I've been trying to fix this header photo thing for a couple days now. Whenever I upload a header photo, no matter what the original size, it is automatically scaled to 300 pixels wide! Anyone have any ideas?

UPDATE: I have found a way around it. I just have to make sure the original photo is 920 pixels wide, no more, no less, and be sure to uncheck the "shrink to fit" box. For some reason "shrink to fit" is shrinking the original photo to 300 pixels, not 920. Ahh, Blogger...But, I get what I pay for. And it's still a bargain!

By the way, the new header photo is actually an old one, taken in September 2007 at one of my favorite places, Banning State Park. Our school is just across the road from the entrance to the park; in fact, the school's land is pretty much surrounded by park land. The cross country team practices on the park trails. I recently purchased a new parking sticker for $25 so I can go to the park while waiting for kids to be done with football AND volleyball practice. That's right. Starflower is now on the junior high volleyball team! She's in sixth grade, and they need all the players they can get so they allow sixth graders to play. They won their first match Thursday afternoon against my mom's alma mater.

Things just keep getting busier and busier...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you looked at the template code?

Unknown said...

If I go to the interface for uploading a header image, there is tiny type saying "Image will be shrunk to 900 pixels wide" -- do you have something like that? Does yours say 300? You and I are both using the "Simple" template. I actually tried uploading a photo and it showed up at about full size.

Deb said...

Anon.- I suppose I should dive into the code. I know just enough HTML to get by.

Penelope- I see that 900 pixel message too. The photo that is displaying now was originally about 1200 pixels. I uploaded it to my Picasa album, then copied the location and pasted in the "edit header" box. When the photo appears in the box, if I right click and view "Properties" it shows the original dimensions, followed by (scaled to 300 px).

I suppose I could try resetting and re-doing the whole blog layout, but it's too nice of a September day to spend indoors on the computer!

Deb said...

Okay, I think I found a solution, it's just a hassle. I resized my original photo to 920 pixels and unchecked the "shrink to fit" box. I think the "shrink to fit" is the problem; somehow instead of shrinking it to 920 pixels it's shrinking it to 300.

Unknown said...

It's beautiful now!!!

Deb said...

Thanks Penny! You need to come up to Banning State Park for a hike some time...and I will be your guide. :) Seriously, there are reports of Louisiana waterthrushes at a creek in the park. I've never gone to see or hear them, but this is about the northern edge of their range.

R.Powers said...

Beautiful and thanks for the tips.

I really have to get busy on sprucing up mine. You are doing this all in Blogger?

Deb said...

FC- It's all in Blogger. Have you checked out the new "Template Designer" feature? It's easier than ever to customize the look.

RuthieJ said...

I like your new header photo Deb!
Good work!

Deb said...

RuthieJ- I was just at a picnic table at Banning today, practicing some music while waiting for kids to be done with football/volleyball practice, and I noticed the colors are about where they were at when I took this photo.