Wednesday, July 28, 2010

finding delight

Boredom is not the same as having too much time on our hands. Its root goes much deeper...to what (can be described as) a failure to find the world and each other compelling or interesting. We find the world boring because we don't see very clearly why it is valuable and good or how and why we practically and beneficially belong to it. We are bored with ourselves because we don't think that what we do really matters much or is of life-giving interest to others. And so we become disengaged from each other, wandering about in a fog of diminished hopes and expectations. Not knowing what to do, and having become suspicious of what our society encourages us to do, we sit around, hoping to find some inspiration. What we have here are the ideal conditions for the entertainment industry to pump us up with artificial stimulation, excitement, and false hope...

If we remember that delight is made possible by our loving and deep affirmation and embrace of others..., then it is easier to see how our desire to possess or be entertained by others works against our joy in them...

-Norman Wirzba, Living The Sabbath: Discovering the Rhythms of Rest and Delight

I realize my lack of posting lately may be due to being preoccupied with worldly matters and not taking the time to experience the delight that daily life has to offer. But without this sense of delight, we are the dead walking. Stay tuned for a renewed and refreshed sense of delight and wonder!!!!

4 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Deb, that is one of the most truthful excerpts I've read. I think I'll look for the book. Do you have it?

Deb said...

Lynne- yes I do. I am re-reading it right now, but if you would like to borrow it you are welcome!

Jayne said...

I love this Deb. Thank you for sharing it. It is just what I needed today. Blessings to you my friend.

Deb said...

Jayne, I have been so inspired by words you have posted. Blessings to you too! Hope to share a glass of wine with you some day. :)