Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I'm getting a Mantis!

My enthusiasm for gardening has been waning lately. Mostly it has to do with the fact that it is physically difficult, and painful, to prepare all of my raised beds by the usual shoveling and hand hoeing methods. One day in the garden equals three days on heavy ibuprofen therapy. And a lot of my weeds are rhizome-running varieties, which are especially tenacious.

I started dreaming about mini-tillers some time last fall. But all of our money was going for getting the new house in livable condition, and I deferred my dream. I hand prepared a couple of beds this spring, and looked on with dread as the usual grasses crept in the others.

Finally this spring I decided I wasn't going to torture myself any further. I was going to get a mini tiller, and it was to be my Mother's Day present. But I'm so bad at shopping, or more precisely, at finally opening up my wallet and buying something. So this morning The Hermit started comparing mini tillers online, and before I knew it he said "I ordered a Mantis!" After comparing consumer reports online, he decided it was worth the money, and they have a 4 payment program, which helps a lot. Free 2-day shipping, it should be here by my planned day off on Friday!

Watch out, woman with power garden tools! :)

4 comments:

Jayne said...

Whoooo Hooooooo... have fun!!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Whoot Deb!! You're going to be a tilling machine. We can't have a stiff and sore step-grannie! ;)

R.Powers said...

RUN WEEDS RUN!

barefoot gardener said...

oh, man! How cool is that?! Let us know if you like it. I have wanted one of those for the longest time, and am curious if it is as cool as it seems....