Sunday, November 23, 2008

first skating day on new ice

It had been a few days since the pond completely froze over, and we had some nights with temperatures in the low teens. I checked the ice Saturday morning, walking cautiously along the edge. From the bubbles I could see in the clear ice, it looked to be at least four inches thick. Perfect. Smooth surface, no heavy snowfall to cause water seepage. Skating before Thanksgiving. It may be the earliest skating since I've kept record here.

Sally likes the pond better in liquid form, but she doesn't mind running around on the ice, shredding wood for me to sweep up later.

Who is this, and what maneuver is she trying to attempt, or trying to recover gracefully from?

I get triple exercise points today; I ran over three miles, then skated for an hour, then acted as catcher for Calvin's late afternoon pitching practice. Zero housekeeping points though; something's gotta give. :)

8 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I think it looks like you just landed a perfect triple toe loop!

---thunderous applause-----

10.0
10.0
10.0
10.0
10.0

R.Powers said...

You go Deb! So funny that Sally is a wood shredder, Bear constantly litters our porch with the "mulch" he produces from whatever limb he can find.

Anonymous said...

I know! I know! It's Kristy Yamaguchi!!! I recognized the skates!!! Points for being a great Mom!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I think you're enjoying this new athletic life you are living now!

Rurality said...

I'm *always* getting zero housekeeping points!

Our ponds are so low that I think they froze all the way through the other day... no ice skates here though.

RuthieJ said...

Sad to say Deb, there are never points for housekeeping (the judges are always too busy making new messes)! So it's always important to stick with the really important, point gathering activities (they're more fun anyway)

barefoot gardener said...

Woo-Hoo! Look at you go!

Sounds like a lot of fun...

Deb said...

Lynne- thanks! You are obviously not the Russian judge. ;)

FC- Those wood chips do have a way of catching in skate blades at unexpected moments.

Cindy- I think Kristy has a lake place up by Brainerd, at least during the summer. And yes, I am enjoying the new athletic me, but boy am I feeling it today...where's the ibuprofen?

Rurality- fortunately this pond was at a high level going into the winter.

RuthieJ- I forgot, I guess I spent Saturday afternoon decluttering and organizing our entry room. Right after cleaning out the compost outhouse. Heck I DESERVED this afternoon, come to think of it! :)

Barefoot- It was really fun, if only I hadn't overdone the running this weekend I may have enjoyed it more!