Friday, January 04, 2008

Perhaps the ugliest flower ever

I am way overdue for a gardening post. I have received many gardening catalogs, and have been perusing the vegetables, but have not quite gotten to the flowers. Flowers are mainly wishful thinking for me.

But I could not help but comment on THIS:

I love purple coneflowers, in their NATURAL state. I even have one White Swan white coneflower, which is pretty hardy and looks nice surrounded by purple Nicotiana. But THIS??? This is a supposedly "improved" version of coneflower. I say it looks like a non-colored coneflower with a sinus infection. Or bad hair.

Even if I could grow coneflowers around here, save for my White Swan which is doing pretty well in a semi protected area, I would not grow these if you paid me.

6 comments:

e4 said...

Wow, I'll have to agree with you there. That is just Not Right.

Anonymous said...

It never ceases to amaze me that humans think we can improve on perfection.

MojoMan said...

I have to admire the optimism of someone who studies garden catalogs in Minnesota in early January!

Rurality said...

Ha! I got that catalog too. My thought was, well that's... interesting.

I keep hearing about a white coneflower that has a scent. That's one I'd like to see!

R.Powers said...

Purple or yellow.
Only.

Anonymous said...

I have lots of the purple cone flower, all of which came from plants my mom grows in her yard. It does amazingly well in these parts. But I do love it to be colorful, the watered-down version is way to weak. The bees got to be able to see it!