Saturday, January 26, 2008

Local blogger offspring sighting!

I have been following Heidi's blog with interest lately, after I found out she lives maybe five miles away from me, has many similar musical and literary interests, keeps track of birds, etc. A potential kindred spirit.

Today I had to go to the post office to pick up my melodic banjo book. As I stepped away from the window, I noticed a teenage boy checking a mailbox. He looked vaguely familiar, from pictures I had seen on the blog. I was almost sure he was Heidi's son, but I was too shy to say anything. I saw him later, riding his bike around town as we dropped a car off at the garage to get a couple new tires. I knew from Heidi's blog that he had traps out at various places around town, and he was probably checking them. The Hermit's comment: "Now there's a brave soul!" (It was maybe fifteen degrees at the time.)

It turns out that was indeed Heidi's son. In fact, in an email Heidi said he had recognized me. Wow. Small world. And, how blogging brings us shy souls together. In the last few years, ALL of the friends I have made have been through the Internet. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow, Deb! You must get a lot of visitors here!

I should mention that Toby got mad at me recently when it was about -20 and I made him wait until it warmed up before he checked his traps. He hears us joke about MN cold, and forgets that it's really no joke!

Missed you on Saturday night.

nina at Nature Remains. said...

And I think we share part of ourselves that we keep hidden from others--almost like a "Dear Diary."
There are people I see every day--yet the people who know me through my blog, see the INside.

R.Powers said...

Good point Nina.
Blog stranger friends know more about the real me than many of the people I work with.
Pretty cool you found a nearby blogofriend.

P.S.
I have to defrost my monitor every time your header photo comes up. That beauty just reeks of cold.

R.Powers said...

Good point Nina.
Blog stranger friends know more about the real me than many of the people I work with.
Pretty cool you found a nearby blogofriend.

P.S.
I have to defrost my monitor every time your header photo comes up. That beauty just reeks of cold.

Deb said...

IslandRambles- I did not start blogging specifically to meet people, but it has been the most pleasant side effect!

Heidi- You were there? Aww, we regressed into our usual nightly routine. But, we have kids that fall into the "can't leave without supervision zone". Perhaps our kids can get together next time?

And, if he wants to go check his traps at 20 below, Toby is one special kid. The Hermit could tell him stories about duck hunting and running muskrat traps on the shores of Lake Erie in the 60's and early 70's.

Nina- you're right, I perhaps expose more of myself on my blog that to the people I meet each day.

By the way, Starflower= Nina in real life. What a beautiful name. We named her after Nina Leopold Bradley, daughter of Aldo Leopold. We have come to be friends with Nina in real life.

FC- Amazing how I have met a local fellow musician, and a woman who shares many interests, through the Internet. Yes, I think I am more open and honest online.

The header photo will change with the seasons. We had a high of 42 today, January thaw, but we're headed for a plunge tomorrow.