Thursday, February 08, 2007

a couple things to celebrate

The odometer on my 1995 Honda Accord station wagon rolled over to 200,000 miles on my way home! As destiny would have it, the event occurred exactly as I was crossing the Kettle River, on the beautiful route (though it was dark) I drive so often. I am convinced those Accords never die; they just rust away slowly if you let 'em. We have another one, a 1990 manual transmission sedan, currently on loan to my stepson, with over 400,000 on it. Kilometers, that is. It originated in Canada. But no matter how you do the math, I'm pretty impressed with their record. And they do get up to 30 miles per gallon, which is easy on the bank account and easier on the environment than most other options. And it's paid for!

Another thing worth celebrating: I swam 1000 meters on Tuesday and today. It doesn't quite feel like swimming did when I was 14 and on the junior high swim team, but I'm not in as bad of shape as I thought I was. I can still sprint freestyle 50 yards, although it takes longer to recover.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I took a new job closer to home and at better pay last summer, Libby told me I could buy myself a new truck. We ended up buying her a new car instead, but it's an Accord. So I'm looking forward to a couple hundred thousand miles (which is what my old truck is nearing now).

Endment said...

These cars --- we are surprised when they keep running --- is it written someplace that they should fall apart after so many miles? Perhaps it is... Congratulations on making it to the milestone!

How wonderful you have a good place to exercise and can enjoy sprinting! Another wonderful milestone!

R.Powers said...

You swam a kilometer? Very impressive!

Amazing mileage. That's very impressive.

Actually, amazing mileage in both cases!

Deb said...

pablo- so if you get a lemon Accord, which I doubt will happen, you'll blame me!

endment- It does seem that we only expect a certain so much of our vehicles..which seems to be increasing, which is good!

FC- Well, I don't know if my swimming would qualify as impressive, but then again it's impressive that I even did it at all. But it is better than I have done in the last few winters...

Anonymous said...

I swam a mile once as a youngster. Back at Scout camp so many years ago. I couldn't do it now, of course, without some serious practice first.

Deb said...

pablo- my brother and I used to swim from my grandparents' lake home to an island about a half mile away. One of us would take the paddle boat and go alongside the swimmer, then when we got to the island we would trade off. The time I spent in the water there probably contributed to my becoming allergic to blue-green algae.