Saturday, June 18, 2005

This week, around here

The last few days my husband has been flattened by some unknown, flu-like bug. So yesterday he went to the doctor, and the diagnosis is Ehrlichiosis (don't quote me on the spelling), the "other" disease humans can get from deer ticks around here. My daughter and I went through Lyme disease last year, and as far as I know we are cured, but this is a new thing. Hope it will go away soon, with help from antibiotics. I'm telling him it's God's revenge for complaining about the weather, to be bedridden on a beautiful day like this.

I did some gardening this morning. Some unknown creature ate the tops off all of my orach plants, while ignoring the abundant lettuce, spinach, arugula, tatsoi, and mizuna in the same raised bed. Definite preference for purplish plants there! I pulled all of the arugula, tatsoi and mizuna plants, which were bolting. I'll maybe plant some carrots there; my first planting didn't seem to take too well. Or I'll plant some more spinach, which my kids all love. Strange, isn't it...they all love broccoli too.

I think I saw a Veery today, for the first time. Their song permeates the air around here, but they are very hard to see. I heard one of their calls, which sounds somewhat like a part of the song of the cardinal, and I saw a thrush like bird where the call was originating from.

I'm not feeling much like writing now, so maybe a bigger update tomorrow.

2 comments:

Lené Gary said...

My heart goes out to you and your family, especially your husband on the tick illness situation. My 7 year old neice was just diagnosed with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and has had debilitating joint pain and hives that have put her in the ER twice in the past 10 days. Crazy. Luckily, I haven't dealt with these kinds of illnesses myself, but I understand how the unknown can be scary.

On a lighter note, have you tried roasting brocolli florets in the oven, tossed with a little oil, at 450 degrees? They are scrumptous. I chop the heads small. Squeeze fresh lemon on them when they pop out. Mmmm. Thanks for reminding me.

Anonymous said...

all I can offer is the standard Norwegian expression of toil: Uff-da.

sounds like you've got your hands full. midsummer is an active time in this world.

i hope your husband gets feeling better right-quick, that doesn't sound fun at all.